by JENNIFER GOODSON, MA, LMHC
Emotional well-being is essential, and we can maintain a balance in our emotions by creating daily routines. Our body, mind, and spirit experience many levels of transformation throughout our lives. Creating a routine for different areas helps manage anxiety, depression, and stress. Depression frequently interrupts one’s basic hygiene and self-care. Creating a daily skincare habit, much like staying in routine with one’s daily rituals of showering, brushing teeth, and getting dressed, aids in decreasing depression.
Our skin is the largest organ of our body, and it reflects the overall health of our bodies. Therefore, it is essential to understand the importance of emotional well-being and its impact on our skin. In the moments of caring for our skin, either by applying a facial mask or using a moisturizer, we are in the act of a therapeutic activity that promotes mindfulness and grounding. In grounding, you are becoming more present in the here and now and slowing down from the daily demands of life. By applying products to our skin, we interact with textures and soothing creams and gels that aid in calming our nervous system.
Being kind to yourself goes beyond positive self-talk and rest. Establishing a daily beauty routine helps a person lovingly interact with their body. It will build confidence and self-esteem, which will, in turn, infiltrate relationships positively. Routines are essential in managing a balanced mental health. They can also help one find small ways to behave like one’s usual self in chaotic or life transitions.
When we find ourselves experiencing idle time, we tend to experience more intrusive thoughts and negative self-talk than average. This is when engaging in an activity that promotes emotional well-being is good. Grounding ourselves, focusing on a routine that brings feelings of calmness, kindness, and self-love. Mindfulness comes to the forefront when we focus on the sensations we are experiencing, feeling the soothing warm water massage of your skin and muscles to release the day’s stress.
Your daily skincare routine does not need to be complicated. Create a routine that feels good and includes items that you enjoy. When we experience pleasure or a moment of happiness, neurotransmitters are released in the brain that bring moments of relaxation.
Tips for Maintaining Emotional Well-being and Healthy Skin
1. Practice Relaxation Techniques: Engaging in relaxation techniques such as meditation, deep breathing exercises, or yoga can help manage stress levels and promote overall well-being. These practices can help reduce the harmful effects of stress on the skin.
2. Seek Support: If you are struggling with emotional well-being, it is important to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional. Talking about our feelings and seeking professional help can help us manage our emotions and improve our skin health.
3. Maintain a Balanced Diet: Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can support healthy skin. A diet rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce inflammation and promote skin healing.
4. Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water is essential for maintaining healthy skin. It helps to keep skin hydrated, plump, and radiant. Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water per day.
5. Practice Good Skincare Habits: Maintaining a consistent skincare routine can help protect and repair the skin. This includes washing the face twice daily with a gentle cleanser, using sunscreen daily, and moisturizing the skin regularly.
6. Get Enough Sleep: Aim to get at least 7-8 hours of quality sleep each night. Adequate sleep helps our bodies repair and restore, including the skin.
7. Engage in Stress-Reducing Activities: Find activities that bring you joy and relaxation. Whether it is reading a good book, taking a walk-in nature, or practicing a hobby, engaging in these activities can help reduce stress levels and promote healthy skin.
Creating an established routine in daily rituals and beauty brings balance and validates balanced emotional well-being because each action is done intentionally. One will begin to feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Even when taking care of yourself may seem complicated, a routine will give you a sense of being in control.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Jennifer Goodson, MA, LMHC, is a licensed mental health counselor with an office in Winter Haven, FL. She holds a Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Jennifer facilitates Boundary Classes in the Fall. For more information, visit www.pathwaycounselingservice.com.