Everyone wants to look their best, and most agree that signs of aging are a leading factor in that battle. Signs of aging can include wrinkles, fine lines, dark spots, dry skin, and more. Luckily, you can fight these changes without expensive or invasive procedures like Botox or cosmetic surgery. Take our Pop Quiz to explore proven ways to prevent the signs of aging and look your best.
1.) Which of the following habits should be avoided because they intensify signs of aging?
- Drinking alcohol
- Tanning, both in tanning beds and tanning under the sun
2.) True or false? Daily exercise is good for your health and helps to keep your skin looking youthful.
3.) True or false? Your diet can play a large role in fighting signs of aging.
4.) Which foods should you eat if you want to protect your skin from signs of aging?
- Foods high in vitamin C and other vitamins, like fruits and vegetables
- Foods rich in healthy fats, like avocados, fish, olive oil, tree nuts, and coconut oil
- Foods high in healthy protein, like fish, poultry, and other lean meats
- Foods full of antioxidants like fish, poultry, fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nuts
- Fermented foods, like kimchi, sauerkraut, tempeh, and other probiotic-rich foods
- All of the above
5.) True or false? One of the best ways to keep your skin looking as youthful as possible is to stay hydrated by drinking enough water.
6.) Which foods should you avoid to protect the youthful appearance of your skin?
- Unhealthy fats like trans fats and saturated fats
- All of the above
7.) True or False? Not getting enough sleep can lead to dark circles under your eyes and older-looking skin because skin cells regenerate while you are sleeping.
8.) Which of the following is NOT another tip for sleeping to fight signs of aging?
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase to fall asleep faster
- Sleep with your feet elevated on a pillow
- Sleep on your back to avoid wrinkles from your cheek being constantly pressed against the pillow
- None of the above
9.) True or false? Not managing stress can lead to signs of aging in your skin.
10.) Which of the following should be included in your skincare regimen to fight signs of aging?
- Using a daily moisturizer and sunscreen (or a combination product)
- Washing your skin before bed
- Exfoliating your skin gently (find out the best option for your skin from a dermatologist)
- Use a night cream with retinoids
- All of the above
11.) True or false? Seeing your dermatologist regularly is the best option for getting the advice and recommendations for products and procedures for your skin to combat signs of aging.
compiled by ERIKA ALDRICH / information from Health.com
- A, B, and D. Drinking alcohol, smoking, and tanning all take a toll on your skin. Exercise, however, is good for fighting signs of aging!
- True. Exercise is good for both your skin and your overall health.
- True. Your diet can either help or hurt in the fight to combat signs of aging.
- F. All of the above. A diet rich in vitamins, antioxidants, healthy fats, lean protein, and even fermented foods is good for both your skin and your overall health.
- True. Skin needs to be hydrated to look its best; it is recommended you drink between 13 and 16 cups of water a day. Water is the best option for hydrating and avoiding additional salt, sugar, and caffeine.
- D. All of the above. Salt, sugar, and unhealthy fats are all bad for your skin just like they are bad for your overall health.
- True. Not getting enough sleep can negatively affect your skin, making signs of aging worse or more pronounced.
- B. Sleep with your feet elevated on a pillow. Using a silk pillowcase and sleeping on your back can both fight signs of aging.
- True. Stress causes the release of hormones that have a negative affect on your skin and your overall health.
- E. All of the above. Moisturizing, using sunscreen, exfoliating, washing your face, and using products with retinoids are all important steps in fighting signs of aging.
- True. A dermatologist is going to know the cutting-edge science behind fighting signs of aging.