Not everyone is blessed with perfect teeth. Sometimes things happen that detract from our smile. Losing one or more teeth can cause a huge hit to one’s self-esteem, in addition to problems eating and speaking. For many years, the only solution for missing teeth was dentures. However, over the last 30 years, dental implants have become an increasingly popular fix for missing teeth. At Winter Haven Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we can help restore your confidence and oral health with dental implants.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Although the concept of dental implants has been around for a long time, we no longer hammer pieces of shell into the jawbone, as was performed by the ancient Mayans. In 1951, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID) was formed to promote the practice of implantology. Over the years the procedure has become standardized.
- First, your dental care team will evaluate your situation using X-rays and develop a plan based on your specific needs. In addition to standard X-rays, we also incorporate the use of cone beam computed tomography, or CBCT scanner, to get a more accurate 3D image of our patients.
- Next, a small titanium post is implanted into the bone socket of your missing tooth or teeth. The jawbone will grow around the post as it heals, anchoring it securely in place. It takes up to a few months for the bone to heal.
- A small connector post, called an abutment, is then attached to the titanium post. The abutment will hold the new tooth.
- A new tooth based on a model of your bite is then attached to the abutment. This replacement tooth is called a crown.
- Instead of having a crown attached, it is also possible to have attachments placed on the implant to support a fixed or removable denture.
Dental Implant Care
There is minimal pain involved in the implant procedure, but good oral hygiene is necessary afterwards. You must continue brushing, flossing, and rinsing with antibacterial mouthwash as normal, and be committed to regular dental check-ups. With proper care, most dental implants will last a lifetime. When you are ready to replace your missing teeth and return your smile to its shining glory, come see us at Winter Haven Family & Cosmetic Dentistry.
Dr. Gerald Cerdan has been practicing dentistry in Winter Haven since 2007. He is a member of the International Dental Implant Association, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, the Florida Dental Association, the American Dental Association, and the Polk County Dental Association. The team at Winter Haven Family and Cosmetic Dentistry is committed to providing high-quality care for all their patients, and Dr. Cerdan is skilled in using cutting-edge technologies to give patients beautiful, healthy smiles!