Wouldn’t it be great if your dentist only had good news for you during your dental cleaning visits? Instead of hearing about cavities, upcoming root canals and such, wouldn’t it be great to ace your next dental cleaning? It’s not hard to do! Try following the steps below.
1. PREPARE BEFORE THE VISIT WITH A GREAT DAILY ORAL CARE ROUTINE. Taking good care of your teeth every day is the best thing you can do to ensure you have a pleasant experience during dental visits. Make sure you:
• Brush at least twice a day. Brushing after every meal is even better.
• Floss at least once a day. The importance of flossing to fight plaque, gingivitis and gum disease cannot be stressed enough.
• Avoid sugary and acidic foods and beverages. Choose a healthy diet instead.
• Don’t use tobacco products of any kind.
2. CONFIRM YOUR APPOINTMENT. Make sure you have the correct appointment date and time, and try to arrive 15 minutes early.
3. ASK QUESTIONS DURING THE VISIT. Have questions about a tooth that’s sensitive to cold or which oral care products you should be using? The best time to ask is when face to face with your dentist and staff. Write questions down to help you to remember.
4. FOLLOW YOUR DENTIST’S INSTRUCTIONS AFTER THE VISIT. Make sure you follow all of your dentist’s instructions as well as you can, such as keeping follow-up appointments, taking a prescribed medication or adjusting your oral care routine. That way, you can ace all your dental cleanings for years to come!
Word of Mouth is sponsored by Midtown Dental.
column by WILLIAM NERESTANT, DDS
BIO: Dr. William Nerestant received his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree from the University of Detroit/Mercy School of Dentistry in Michigan. After serving and being recognized for his meritorious service in the Air Force as an officer in the Dental Corps, he currently serves patients at Midtown Dental in Lakeland. For more information, visit www.mymidtowndental.com or call (863) 226-0987.